On June 1st, the Construction Ready team collaborated with the South Island Partnership and Camosun College to host a Summer Opportunities Event for secondary students interested in careers in the trades.
The event kicked off with Ted Talks style presentations from industry professionals, Mark Bernhardt of Bernhardt Contracting Ltd and Theresa Henriksen of Kinetic Construction, who shared advice and insight about jobs and careers in construction.
The students then broke out into two groups. One group began their mock interviews, while the other group had a chance to explore the FutureBuilder App with a Construction Ready Career Catalyst. Students were also able to connect with the local representative of the Skilled Trades Employment Program who was able to assist students nearing graduation who were looking for full-time employment.
In preparation for the interview sessions, students were invited to share their FutureBuilder profiles with the employers, which then stimulated conversation around how their experiences on sports teams, in clubs, as well as in courses at school, could translate to the Attitude, Skills, and Knowledge employers seek when hiring new employees.
In total, seventy students from across Victoria and surrounding areas, had the opportunity to participate in practice interview sessions to gain experience responding to the types of questions they would be asked when being interviewed for a position in the construction industry.
The event concluded with a free barbeque for the students and employers which gave the participants a chance to continue conversations and build relationships.
Construction Ready would like to thank everyone involved for making the event such a success.
Employers and industry professionals that attended the event include:
- Dave Lewis, Alpine Insulation Ltd
- Mark Bernhardt, Bernhardt Contracting Ltd
- Chris Lacey, Bowcey Construction Ltd
- Jordan Kersch, British Columbia Regional Council of Carpenters Local 1598
- Ken Armour, IBEW
- Theresa Henriksen, Kinetic Construction
- Cori Coutts, Knappett Projects Inc
- Blaise McDonald, MAC Renovations Ltd
- J-B Wagret, Perma Construction
- Scott Taylor, Raider Hansen
- Dave Coleman, Roofing Contractors Association of BC
- Emily Stein, Slegg Building Materials
- Mike Ellis, UA Canada
- Russ Jennings, United Engineering Ltd